Tuesday 21 June 2016

Top 10 student budget friendly restaurants in Toulouse – part one

In the second term of my Erasmus in Toulouse when I felt more settled into French life I ate out around once a week. I mainly chose restaurants through recommendations from foodie friends, though I sometimes found TripAdvisor reviews helpful.

By no means have I tried all the restaurants in Toulouse, I didn’t have nearly enough time and probably would have bankrupted myself! Add to that the fact that new restaurants are popping up all the time throughout the city and it becomes apparent that this is by no means a definitive list – rather a ranking of the best Toulousain restaurants I’ve been lucky enough to visit, judged on value for money (rapport qualité prix), atmosphere and a very English idea of Frenchie-ness (l'équivalent anglais de ‘so British’ en France ;) ) Unless otherwise stated, scores are based on a weekday visit for lunch.

Oh, and in true French style I shall be marking out of 20 :P

Let the first bitesize chunk of the countdown begin!

10. CROUS


Restaurant universitaire, Toulouse UT1 Capitole (photo credit www.crous-toulouse.fr/fiche-detaillee?id=4) 
Value for money: 20/20
Atmosphere: 6/20
French factor: 14/20

CROUS is the university-wide catering service in France. On my campus they offered a variety of food outlets: two cafés, a push-bike selling Sushi outside the BU (Bibliothèque universitaire; university library) and the restaurant universitaire, a large canteen.
Admittedly the quality could be better – think halls food gone French with the atmosphere to match for any of you who have experienced catered student accommodation in the UK! However, it is difficult to grumble when a three course meal (plus small baguette) costs just over 3 €. I went there on average once a week in first and second term.
Like many French food outlets, a major downside to the CROUS is its lack of vegetarian choices. In France it is such a struggle for vegetarians to find restaurants which serve proper meat-free meals rather than the meat course minus the meat. I have experienced this problem first-hand – one of the best friends I met in Toulouse is vegetarian and she found eating out a very difficult experience. Hopefully restaurateurs will soon realise vegetarians like restaurants, too!

9. Foxy

Main course, Foxy
Value for money: 11/20
Atmosphere: 15/20
French factor: 16/20

After walking past this little bistrot for months and a recommendation from a foodie friend I finally managed to visit during my final weeks in Toulouse. (I had tried to go before but when my group arrived it was fully booked. Really, you must always make a reservation before eating out in Toulouse!)
The place was lively; every table was occupied. My meal was an intriguing combination of pasta and a slightly sweet, oriental sauce made with mango and sprinkled with sesame seeds. This was complimented by rich chunks of slow-cooked beef. My friend enjoyed one of Foxy’s many burger choices. Overall it was a good experience.

8. Solaneko

Main course, Solaneko
Value for money: 15/20
Atmosphere: 16/20
French factor: 12/20

Located on the fringes of centre-ville in the St-Cyprien quartier of Toulouse, a friend told me this restaurant was a hidden gem. After a starter of miso soup served with rice, I chose the chicken Katsu with a selection of vegetables in a variety of aromatic coverings for my plat principal. There was also a fish choice which looked rather appetising.
Though I’m not sure the Japanese-French fusion food was entirely to my taste (I prefer traditional dishes) I am certain this place could quickly become a ‘go-to’ restaurant for the right person.

7. The Dispensary

Fish and Chips at The Dispensary - complete with birthday card in the background!
Value for money: 16/20
Atmosphere: 17/20
French factor: 4/20

I went for an evening meal with friends at The Dispensary to celebrate my birthday. Like Solaneko it is located in St-Cyprien so slightly outside the town centre but the place was still very lively. It was the most authentic British/Irish style pub I went to in Toulouse – the waitress who took our orders was from Sheffield! The menu consisted of generously sized burgers which according to my friends were delicious. I chose the ultimate 'so British' dish, Fish and Chips. Although the mushy peas were rather runny and the mustard sauce was a bit strange, the batter was very authentic, the fish was nicely cooked and the chips weren’t bad either. The dish even came with a small side salad, something you wouldn’t usually get in the UK. There was a good selection of sauces and relishes including HP sauce, which is quite unusual in France.
There were quite a few vegetarian choices, something my veggie friend really appreciated!
I had great fun introducing my Erasmus friends to British food, my only regret is that we never went back to try the Full English Breakfast (which is also available in a vegetarian version).  

6. Rajasthan Villa

Photo credit www.lerajasthanvilla.com
Value for money: 18/20
Atmosphere: 17/20
French factor: N/A – it’s an Indian restaurant!

My parents and I visited Rajasthan Villa for an evening meal after reading very good reviews on TripAdvisor.
The restaurant was beautifully decorated but very quiet, especially considering the quality of the food and very reasonable prices (16 € for a three-course meal plus an aperitif, poppadoms and coffee – virtually unheard of for an evening meal in Toulouse!)
Highlights included an aromatic whole trout for my main course and lassi, a traditional yoghurt-based Indian drink. The staff were welcoming and very friendly, too.
If you want to eat Indian in Toulouse, this is the place to go!


Next time I’ll be continuing the countdown by sharing my top 5 favourite places to eat out in Toulouse!


Bisous !

No comments :

Post a Comment